Pages

Sunday, December 09, 2007

Shame on you 24 Hour Fitness!!!

A couple weeks ago, 24 Hour Fitness had some promotion guys come in to do a "taste test" demonstration. I remember it clearly. It was a Thursday, and as usual, I was getting 1.5-2 hours of cardio in, and I tend to get hungry near the end of my routine. About 30 minutes into my routine, I started to smell something good. On occasion, I get to work out next to somebody who works in a restaurant, so all they smell like is the food in that restaurant, and a guy did just get on an elliptical next to me, so I just assumed it was him. The smell persisted, got stronger and lighter, so finally I turn around to look downstairs to see if somebody left the door open. (The 24 Hour Fitness that I go to is right next to a Saltgrass Steak House, which I still have yet to go to.) Instead of finding the door open, I saw a couple of promotion guys cooking chicken teriyaki stir fry! I passed right on by them when I left the gym. I've never been a big fan of product promotion in this way...

As far as I'm concerned, a fitness facility needs to promote healthy lifestyles. While chicken teriyaki is a pretty healthy food, to have a product promoted during dinner time is just cruel (yes, I'm talking to you 24 Hour Fitness). I almost did not finish my cardio workout because I could not deal with the smell (it smelled great at first, then just made me nauseous), I wonder how many people may have left early because of it?

2 comments:

Diana Swallow said...

I have to agree with you, no matter how healthy the food is, I don't think a gym should be passing out samples. For the record, teriyaki is typically loaded with sodium and gives my scale license to play mind games with an added pound or three.

After browsing your blog I know its time to kick my exercise up a notch or two, thanks for the motivation.

I'm glad you stopped by my blog, hope you stop by again soon!

Diana

Anonymous said...

wow...that is pretty bad...i would be frustrated by that...how disappointing. did you sneer at them as you walked out the door? hehe...juuust kidding.

i wonder why 24 hour fitness did that? hurting for money? no way...maybe they thought it would be something nice to do for the customers?? eat a little treat after a workout?? hmm...weird...