Pages

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Values & Respect

Standing up for one's values, that's what it's all about. I stand by my beliefs, thoughts, and values and push back all the time at work. I'm not going to sacrifice who I am for somebody or something else, but this is only true for work. Some say that's the hardest area to stay true to your values, but I think it's different for everybody. I don't always stay true to myself in my day-to-day life; I sacrifice my values all the time without even realizing it. This is going to change; I'm going to work on this from this day forward.

How did I start thinking about this? My trainer and I had a conversation today that truly made me realize his commitment and dedication to the field - the field of changing lives. I don't want to go into great detail about it because it's not really my place to do so, but I respect him even more than I did before. He has humbled me beyond words (almost). Sometimes you just have to stand up in what you believe in, and I've forgotten what it's like to stand up for myself in the world around me. I have a voice and it needs to be heard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn straight...........You go girl.........:)

john - from fat to fit said...

Very important point Michelle - and not always easy to stand up to.

Diana Swallow said...

Stand up and be heard Michelle!

The Merry said...

I wandered over to your blog from John's Fat to Fit blog. Thank you! It's helpful and encouraging to read about your journey.
I've been doing the couch to 5k program, and your running stats gave me an idea of a pace that is more reasonable than the one suggested by the c25k people. (Not to disparage their program -- it's just that a 10-minute mile is not a realistic starting point for everyone!)
Geez, this comment's getting long. I just wanted to say 'thanks'!