Pages

Monday, January 16, 2012

Recipe: Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake

This recipe from Tasty Kitchen is simple and rather healthy.  I used nonfat Greek Yogurt rather than the sour cream and didn't notice any difference in texture or taste.  I think I just might start substituting nonfat Greek Yogurt for any recipes that ask for sour cream because it's healthier (more protein, less fat, and contains probiotics).  Livestrong reviews the difference between the two in an article. 

I did a Weight Watcher's point calculation, and for five servings, it's 11 points, but it could easily be six or seven servings depending on hunger.  I found that the brown rice really filled me up.  I made a few minor modifications to the original recipe of Tasty Kitchen, which I also added in below.

Ingredients
  • 2 whole Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts (cooked, boiled)
  • 4 cups Cooked Brown Rice
  • 1 cup Frozen Corn
  • 15 ounces, Can Black Beans, Drained And Rinsed
  • 1 cup Plain Nonfat Greek Yogurt
  • 3 Jalapenos
  • ½ cups Salsa
  • 1 cup Low-fat Cheddar Cheese, Plus More For Topping


Instructions

1.  Preheat oven to 350F while boiling the chicken. 
2.  Cook brown rice according to directions.  Add chopped jalapenos to the boiling water.
3.  In a large bowl, combine cooked rice, cooked chicken, corn, black beans, nonfat Greet Yogurt, salsa, and cheese.  Stir and season with salt and pepper if desired.
4.  Add to oven-safe dish and top with extra cheese if you choose to.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. 

No comments: